Wednesday, November 11, 2009

So Pretty (when you speak your mind)

So, I finally sat down and transcribed the lyrics on the back of one of my third eye blind concert t-shirts. I had never read them before because they are written in tiny cursive in light green ink on a green t-shirt. I just knew I liked what the front of the shirt said ("So Pretty (when you speak your mind)") when I bought it. But I like the rest of the lyrics too. It’s not on any of their better-known albums; it came out on a 3-song EP a year ago. Interesting…

the police high-beam froze her pretty face
in white glow for a while
the politic bureau’s on high alert and
her name showed up on file
there’s trouble with the war effort
and she’s been speaking out
check point charlie’s radio-ed in
she’s compromised in doubt
there’s trouble with the war effort and she’s crossed the party line
you were so pretty in the days you spoke your mind

you were so pretty hiding out
the files have been filled
the regime won’t be undermined
you were so pretty in the days you spoke your mind

quiet now don’t make a sound
the system shut us down now we find each other in the underground
she had the voice once of the people
now she’s timid as a mouse
I would kiss you on the mouth in a safe house
cause you were so pretty hiding out
so walk on by, you’re a red star

tell me how did you let them in
we were silent secret agents
but the resistance is wearing thin
dissent is now illegal
she must pay the consequence
in the thriller mystery baby
you are my suspense
cause you were so pretty hiding out
you’re a red star

No comments:

Post a Comment