Monday, March 2, 2009

Doodads

This weekend I went up to Amboy, Washington to meet with my fellow Oregon AmeriCorps interns. We played a rousing game of hide or seek then went to tour the operations of a local volunteer-restored railroad. They let us climb on a restored 1929 locomotive and then ride a speeder car through a tunnel and down a large stretch of their track. The Chelatchie Prairie Railroad has lots of fun-sounding themed rides including a train robbery performance and a cut-your-own-Christmas tree ride. I think it would be fun to take someone on the train robbery themed ride without telling them and see how they react when vintage dressed cowboys ride up to the train on horses!

Later that night we were sitting around playing a board game called “Balderdash” where the goal is to come up with the best explanation for a word, name, date, movie title, or abbreviation. After hearing all of the other players’ explanations and the actual answer, the players vote on which explanation they think is the right one. I thought it was hilarious that so many people thought my explanation for what happened on April 11, 1919 was the right one. Here it is:

…A pig named “Daphne” walked into the Waldorf Hotel and ate a 20-dollar-bill…

3 of the 5 other players thought my story was the right one saying “that pig story sounds so familiar…” The actual answer was “The first pop-up toaster was released.” I guess I have seen too many Cary Grant comedies!

In other news, I watched the official music video for Michael Franti’s song “The Obama Song” today and let me tell you, it is pretty awesome. You can watch it for yourself on Franti’s YouTube page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment