Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Beginning

Welcome to my blog about life as an environmental, vegetarian, dog-loving, flea market fanatic, travelling, film noir fan.

This story begins when I packed up a part of my life in 3 suitcases and flew 3000 miles away.

Flying from the east coast to the west coast at 5:30 in the morning does have its upside... the views! I was able to watch the sunrise on the east coast and the sunset on the west coast. Despite my location over the starboard wing of the plane... I was able to see the topography and beauty of the land below. I saw rivers and snow covered mountains and mid-continental rifting that I recognized from my structural geology class.

After arriving in Portland I bought a hybrid car and proceeded to explore Portland's parks. I visited Rocky Butte State Park, the Grotto and Mt. Tabor Park. Unfortunately the foggy day weather put a damper on the views from these locales. But, I suppose I will have to get used to that foggy day weather...

Tomorrow, the journey as an AmeriCorps intern begins as I drive up Mt. Adams for orientation. Wish me luck! I have an ice scraper but no chains on my tires.

No comments:

Post a Comment